[Quilt-dev] Hackweek project: make quilt a noarch package

From: Jean Delvare
Subject: [Quilt-dev] Hackweek project: make quilt a noarch package
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2011 13:59:53 +0100

Hi all,

Suse is having Hackweek VI [1] this week. My project this time will be
to turn quilt into a noarch package [2]. The only part of quilt which
needs to be built for the target arch is the backup-files helper, which
accounts for about 6.8% of the total source code (not counting the
build-related files; bash scripts account for 77.5% and perl scripts for
15.7%).

This has already been discussed in the past [3], in particular by Debian
folks who have already been replacing backup-files by a bash
implementation [4] in their quilt package.

Obviously I will start from Martin Quinson's patch again, to which I
will apply my own suggested improvements [5]. Then I plan to setup a
performance test bench on several machines, testing several use cases,
to evaluate the actual impact on performance. According to the previous
discussions, performance is the real issue, and this is where I intend
to invest my work time.

I will post the results here once I have them.

[1] http://en.opensuse.org/Portal:Hackweek
[2] https://features.opensuse.org/311072
[3] http://www.mail-archive.com/address@hidden/msg01369.html
[4] http://www.mail-archive.com/address@hidden/msg01137.html