[Quilt-dev] Binary files

From: Kaz Kylheku
Subject: [Quilt-dev] Binary files
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2013 16:20:19 -0700

I dug up this old thread in the archives:

https://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/quilt-dev/2007-01/msg00001.html

I've just used quilt in a tree where I had to patch some binary files. I did it in a quick and dirty way: a pair of scripts encode and decode the files to and from base64-encoded .txt files.

This could be automated if quilt had configurable hooks. Push and pop operation could run a post-hook to base64-decode the newly updated .txt files to their corresponding binaries. And quilt refresh could have a pre-hook to refresh the .txt files from the corresponding updated binaries.

The hooks are up to the user to write, and are associated with the quilt tree somehow. The hooks are always run, regardless of what files are affected. The hook scripts have to know where in the tree encoded binary files are hiding, and determine whether an update is required. The hooks could receive some useful arguments, like perhaps what files are affected by the operation.

This way everything is transparent to the user (he or she hacked it however he or she wants), and the impact inside quilt is minimal. "If we are in a situation where we have to run a hook, and it is defined, then run it".

Cheers ...