Re: [Quilt-dev] Quilt translation update

From: Jean Delvare
Subject: Re: [Quilt-dev] Quilt translation update
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2024 11:09:09 +0100

Hallo Andreas,

On Thu, 25 Jan 2024 22:16:33 +0100, Andreas Grünbacher wrote:
> I've updated parts of the german translation, but there is also this,
>
> "The setup command is only guaranteed to work properly on spec files where\n"
> "applying all the patches is the last thing done in the %%prep section.
> This\n"
> "is a design limitation due to the fact that quilt can only operate on\n"
> "patches. If other commands in the %%prep section modify the patched files,\n"
> "this must happen first, otherwise you won't be able to push the patch\n"
> "series.\n"
>
> which is a pretty unclear and therefore not very helpful statement in
> the first place, and translating it won't fix the original. So I'm not
> touching that.

OK, I do find it clean, but I wrote it in the first place, so that
doesn't count. Therefore, I discussed this with my colleagues to get a
neutral opinion. The generally understood the meaning, but agreed it
could be improved.

The first suggestion was to replace "this must happen first" with "they
must come first", to make it clean that what matters is the order of
the commands in the %prep section.

The second suggestion was to add an example. It could look like this:

"For example, a %prep section where you first unpack a tarball, then
apply patches, and lastly perform a tree-wide string substitution, is
not OK. For "quilt setup" to work, it would have to be changed to
unpacking the tarball, then performing a tree-wide string substitution,
and lastly applying the patches."

Would either or both work for you?

Thanks,
SUSE L3 Support