Re: [Quilt-dev] -SPECPARTS directory and ed(1)

From: Andreas Grünbacher
Subject: Re: [Quilt-dev] -SPECPARTS directory and ed(1)
Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2024 00:28:00 +0100

Am Do., 29. Feb. 2024 um 23:10 Uhr schrieb Matěj Cepl <mcepl@cepl.eu>:
> On Thu Feb 29, 2024 at 10:37 PM CET, Andreas Grünbacher wrote:
> > You mean "quilt setup" does that?
>
> Yes, https://paste.opensuse.org/pastes/1a6dce3ceb48

The way this is implemented today is pretty reckless. I've recently
complained about that and pointed out a reasonable alternative (see
the below thread), but Jean keeps reiterating that it's not a problem
for him, and so it cannot possibly be a problem for anyone else,
either. Unfortunately, at the moment, I don't have the time to rip
this crap out and replace it with something decent.

https://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/quilt-dev/2024-02/msg00014.html

> > The patch utility will use ed to apply ed-style patches, and that's
> > where the dependency comes from.
>
> So, the dependency should be on the patch package, shouldn’t it?

Technically you're right, but nobody in their right mind uses ed-style
diffs directly, and so we don't want to drag ed into all environments
that require patch (which includes build environments of all kinds,
for example).

It just happens that ed-style diffs generated by GNU diff are easy to
parse, which made implementing "quilt annotate" relatively easy. If
you want to have a stab at rewriting annotation_for() to use unified
or context diffs instead of ed-style diffs, go ahead; that would
remove the dependency on ed.

Andreas