Re: [Quilt-dev] -SPECPARTS directory and ed(1)

From: Jean Delvare
Subject: Re: [Quilt-dev] -SPECPARTS directory and ed(1)
Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2024 20:07:31 +0100

On Mon, 04 Mar 2024 15:50:55 +0100, Matěj Cepl wrote:
> On Mon Mar 4, 2024 at 3:41 PM CET, Jean Delvare wrote:
> > On Thu, 2024-02-29 at 22:07 +0100, Matěj Cepl wrote:
> > > 1. is it possible somehow to revert quilt to the previous state,
> > >    where it doesn't create *-SPECPARTS directory? What does this
> > >    directory bring to me?
> >
> > What "previous state" do you mean exactly? I'm using quilt on a daily
> > basis and I've never seen a *-SPECPARTS directory being created. When,
> > and after which changes, did it start happening for you? Please explain
> > which quilt commands led to such directories being created.
>
> EVERY `quilt setup -v *.spec` have been creating two directories
> for the last couple of months. Before that, it was only one (the
> one without `-SPECPARTS` in the end).

This isn't a change in quilt, but a change in rpmbuild. From what I
read, this is part of a new feature which makes it possible to
dynamically create spec file snippets which add to the original spec
file. As if rpm spec files where not already nightmarish enough...
*sigh*

It would have been better if they only created the directory when
needed instead of creating it by default. Apparently this is "by
design" so that the code in the spec file can test if the feature is
supported, but that looks very hackish to me and there was definitely a
better way to achieve the same.

I would prefer if they delete the directory when it ends up being empty
after the %setup section has been fully executed. I makes no sense to
leave the directory around, considering that most spec files will not
use this new feature.

SUSE L3 Support