Re: Backward compatibility of next beta

From: Derek Atkins
Subject: Re: Backward compatibility of next beta
Date: Wed, 05 Feb 2020 09:07:53 -0500

Hi,

Frank Crawford <address@hidden> writes:

> Unfortunately, no, it doesn't work the way it reads.  It maps some
> pickle built-in name to new versions of those names, but doesn't
> address the translation of ascii to unicode and visa-versa (except for
> those specific instances).
>
> I did try this.
>
> Certainly, if you could get the translation to work, you would need to
> use protocol version and that is a general thing that should be looked
> at in the future, but as a performance issue, not a conversion option.

Ah well, that's too bad.  :(

I guess we're back to having 2 copies on the backup server and then
calling the correct one based on the target.

And for the record, I do thank you all for all the hard work you have
put in to keep this project going.  I am very grateful for your efforts.

Thank you,

-derek
--
       Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745
       address@hidden             www.ihtfp.com