rdiff-backup: Restoring a file from its increments

From: Dieter Heußner
Subject: rdiff-backup: Restoring a file from its increments
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2022 14:46:17 +0100

Hello,

could somebody shed some light to the question of restoring files backed up by
rdiff-
backup, please?

Given an original file, say file A. It will be backed up with rdiff-backup, and
also
its increments (assuming that there are many changes to file A).

When restoring a given version of that file,
a) does rdiff-backup construct the desired version step-wise by applying ALL
increments of that file (in chronological order beginning with the original
version), OR
b)  does rdiff-backup start with the original file (file A) and ONLY applies
the most recent
increment which relates immediately prior or precisely to the timestamp of the
desired version to be restored?

In my understanding, if a) was true, deleting increments (say older than n
weeks) would not always result in the desired version because of probably
missing
increments. If b) was true, the goal can be achieved. However, as a newbie to
rdiff-backup
I am not sure at all.

As a newbie to rdiff-backup I'd appreciate if the rdiff-backup documentation
cover these issues for better understanding the mechanisms of this tool.

Best regards
Dieter

PGP/GPG Key fingerprint:
BF12 CD6F EDC4 9FBA C933  316B 2C81 0BEF 4324 8513