Exit code 2 confusion

From: Patrik Dufresne
Subject: Exit code 2 confusion
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2023 14:05:38 -0400

Hello,

I'm working on an automated script executing rdiff-backup v2.2 (within
Minarca). And I have some issues figuring out the various exit codes
returned by rdiff-backup.

>From the code:

RET_CODE_OK = 0 # everything is fine
RET_CODE_ERR = 1 # some fatal error happened, the whole action failed
RET_CODE_WARN = 2 # any kind of unexpected issue without complete failure
RET_CODE_FILE_ERR = 4 # a single file (or more) failure
RET_CODE_FILE_WARN = 8 # a single file (or more) warning or difference

0 is great. Everything is working. Yeah !
1 I understand the backup failed. Good enough.
2,4,8 I'm not sure of those. For backup. Did the backup complete ?

Another issue I have is exit code 2 is also used by argparse on failure. So
it's not possible to really make a distinction between the two.

Any clarification would be appreciated !

Thanks

--
IKUS Software
https://www.ikus-soft.com/