Question about restore action without or with --force

From: boiteacourriels
Subject: Question about restore action without or with --force
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2023 10:19:35 +0200

Hello list,
I use rdiff-backup with debian 12 for my internal backups and locally on
another computer also on debian 12 with ssh.
I use internally
rdiff-backup -v5  --fsync --new backup --print-statistics --include-
globbing-filelist $EXCLUDE $SOURCE $DESTINATION

I use locally
rdiff-backup -v5  --fsync --new backup --print-statistics --include-
globbing-filelist $EXCLUDE folder to backup $USER@IP::/ backup folder

It works perfectly.

Unfortunately I encounter a problem when restoring locally.
I use:
rdiff-backup -v5  --fsync restore --at now $USER@P:://what I want to
restore where I want to restore.
I have this message:
rdiff-backup -v5  --fsync --new restore --at now /backup folder  /
destination folder
* Run remote command ssh -C server rdiff-backup --terminal-verbosity 5
--server
WARNING: this command line interface is obsolete and will disappear,
start using the new one as described with '--new --help'.
* Starting the server
* The API version is 200 with the command b'ssh -C server rdiff-backup
--terminal-verbosity 5 --server'
ERROR: Target path/destination folder exists and is not empty, call with
'--force' to overwrite
ERROR: Action restore failed when checking step
* Cleaning
* Cleaning
If I use --force
rdiff-backup -v5  --fsync --new --force restore --at now /backup folder
/destination folder
This removes all folders and files present in the destination folder but
not present in the backup folder.
The destination folder:
- folder 1 present in the folder and restore
- folder 1 present in the folder and restore
- folder 3 empty not present in backup folder is deleted
- folder 3  with file and folder  not present in backup folder are
deleted
 i loss all file and folder create after the last backup

Why such a behavior?
Would I make a mistake in my instructions.
Please help me to use rdiff-backup correctly.
Best regards.