repo-criteria-discuss

Re: CodeBerg addition

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: CodeBerg addition
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2024 23:05:51 -0500

  > If Codeberg puts the unacceptable license in the dropdown
  > but makes it very clear that you violate your agreement by choosing
  > them and enforces the agreement, I would consider it a pass.
  > It is just a really bad user interface.

That is not the right approach for judging our evaluation criteria.
We have these criteria for practical reasons -- to judge whether the
site's actions and statements fit what we can recommend.  It is not a matter
of whether the site's developers mean well, but whether they have
done the job right.

That being so, if a site's UI is self-contradictory or unclear about a
point we consider crucial, such as this one, we should not "give them
credit for good intentions".

But it is good to give them helpful feedback and encouragement in
getting it right.  We should tell them we're eager for them to
properly implement those good intentions.