repo-criteria-discuss

Re: Feedback on our evaluation criteria

From: Fischers Fritz
Subject: Re: Feedback on our evaluation criteria
Date: Thu, 16 May 2024 09:58:16 +0000

Dear Bill,

It seems we have already fixed point 1 and are aware of point 2,
but it seems also that I was unclear about what I meant by "detail",
so I explain.

For cases where we already have the detail, the suggestion is to include
it in another webpage.

> for example: "no non-free JS" -

I imagine my associate would have liked the evaluation to reference
a particular non-free JavaScript file required to use the site.

> for example: "does not log user activity" -

I imagine my associate would have liked the evaluation to reference
an account of how we determined that the site logs user activity.

About my suggestion for criteria relevant to non-GNU projects,
I would indeed like to have a set of guidelines that we could describe
as follows.

> "These guidelines are perfectly relevant to any software project and any code
>  host. Anyone, either as a user or an project maintainer, may adopt them;
>  and any service operator may apply them."

I find this not to describe the current criteria, since I find many
of the present guidelines to be relevant specifically for GNU projects.

About non-websites: Individual criteria are useful for evaluation
of non-websites, but free non-websites will score F; it would have
been better if I had said the grades were misleading for non-websites.
Non-websites will score F because they don't have HTTP. For the grading
to be useful to non-websites, we would need to remove the criteria
specific to HTML, JavaScript, HTTP, and maybe Tor. Or we could change
those criteria so that these protocols are optional.

> GNU has no authority over non-GNU projects; so it would be pretentious
> to define what others should or should not accept - independent projects must
> decide for themselves what is acceptable; because only they have the authority
> to accept or reject these principles in the context of each their own projects

I find this point to be at odds with the proposal to say that "these
guidelines are perfectly relevant to any software project and any code".
Could it be that you have a less pretentions wording in mind that would
work for this potential grade?

With distinguished salutations,
Fischers Fritz