reproduce-devel

[task #16268] python: bdist_wheel + installer instead of egg

From: Eli Schwartz
Subject: [task #16268] python: bdist_wheel + installer instead of egg
Date: Tue, 4 Oct 2022 17:02:54 -0400 (EDT)

Follow-up Comment #4, task #16268 (project reproduce):

> so it's quite possible that this bdist_wheel + installer strategy will
become obsolete. I'm just guessing - I'm not a python developer

Yeah, python's ecosystem is in a bit of... flux. It's not always obvious what
groups such as distros can do if "simply use pip install for everything" isn't
a suitable answer -- and honestly, it never is a good answer.

My suggestion for bdist_wheel and installer is based on an understanding that
the PyPA really, really want to push wheels, and this is not going away...
after a lot of effort, installer actually exists these days and can serve as a
baseline for installing those wheels in a simple, minimally bootstrapped,
reproducible fashion. So, that's a good change to build on and helps the
current situation a lot.

How to create wheel files is a lot more confusing. Pip creates them as a
matter of course, and each PEP 517 build backend may have its own CLI for
creating them, or recommend other methods. For setuptools, this is currently
"python setup.py bdist_wheel" as a side migration from "python setup.py
install". Setuptools is also deprecating setup.py install, and some other
frontend commands, but it's not clear what the timeline for dropping support
for that may be, if anything.

But making this change should solve real issues today, while simultaneously
making it *easier* to switch to some other method later on, as python
packaging requirements and recommendations settle. Which is good.

As noted, bootstrapping setuptools+installer itself would still involve some
circularity, which is unfortunate, but the python standards groups do not seem
to be focused on that use case.

Excluding those from the new installation method is reasonable and can be
incrementally improved later, as the problem becomes better understood (maybe
even by upstream, we can hope).

  <https://savannah.nongnu.org/task/?16268>

Message sent via Savannah
https://savannah.nongnu.org/