[Savannah-hackers-public] [gnu.org #249112] Savannah kernel and modules

From: Justin Baugh via RT
Subject: [Savannah-hackers-public] [gnu.org #249112] Savannah kernel and modules
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2005 12:17:50 -0400

> [beuc - Tue Aug 09 19:27:56 2005]:
>
> Hello,
>
> To answer your question, I didn't touch the Savannah kernel. I also
> put some packages on hold:
>
> savannah:~# aptitude search ~ahold
> ih  kernel-image-2.6.8.1-dl380         - Linux kernel binary image for
> version 2.6.8.1-dl380.
> ih  kernel-image-2.6.8.1-dl380-elfvuln - Linux kernel binary image for
> version 2.6.8.1-dl380-elfvuln.
> ih  modutils                           - Kernel module management
> utilities.
> ih  procps                             - The /proc file system
> utilities
>
> I also add to delete mkinitrd that was conflicting with debian-utils,
> maybe you'll need to reinstall it if needed. It wouldn't hurt to check
> the current kernel status configuration before the next reboot :)

I removed the elfvuln kernel, it was a oneoff for a security vulnerability.

> I have a question though: I noticed that the 'acl' module is not
> loaded, hence silently ignored in fstab. Moreover, I wanted to
> modprobe ip_conntrack_ftp to try and activate active ftp uploads, and
> the module is not present either.
>
> Could you make these modules available?

It's been the policy of the sysadmins for some time to not build kernels
with any module support. Also, the dl380 configuration already has FTP
connection tracking built in (CONFIG_IP_NF_FTP, right?)

However, ACL's were not enabled. I have produced a new kernel that
provides this, and installed it. I'll leave it to you to reboot the
machine when it's convenient (or just let me know when).

-Justin

--
Justin Baugh (baughj at gnu dot org)
Systems Administrator