[Savannah-hackers-public] Re: Meaning of "fatal: protocol error: bad lin

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: [Savannah-hackers-public] Re: Meaning of "fatal: protocol error: bad line length character"?
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2007 13:09:33 +0100

Sylvain Beucler escreveu:
>>> I am sorry I didn't reply.
>>>
>>> We had a path problem after reconfiguring inetd that appeared after
>>> the next reboot.
>>>
>>> Jim Meyering had fixed it promptly.

>> BTW, any chance of an upgrade to GIT 1.5 for Savannah?  It has some
>> very useful features, among others, the ability to delete remote
>> branches.
>
> I did so yesterday :)
>
> However I'm not sure the current setup will permit remote deletion
> (we're supposed to keep history from being deleted). Can you try?

It works.  I think it's a useful feature. If you're concerned with
removing history, perhaps it's best to enable logrefupdates, and
disable trimming the log.

The reason for wanting to delete branches is that I want to delete
historic mistakes, especially (eg. origin and bisect branches). Also
some branches are short lived because they are scratch areas
for experimental work.

Perhaps it would be cool to have a facility for an experimental/
directory of branches, where deletion is allowed (and only there..)