Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] spam posting replies

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] spam posting replies
Date: Fri, 23 May 2008 17:32:59 -0600

Karl Berry wrote:
> Presumably user "gronholm" is a fake.  When this happens, is there some
> way to disable the user from posting again?  Or is that already done?
> Or is it useless?  (The posting is already marked as spam.)

Apparently not.  Here is some previous discussion.

  https://savannah.gnu.org/support/?106304

> I can't say I've noticed the same user posting spam multiple times, but
> I haven't exactly paid strict attention either.

There definitely has been problems with repeat offenses from the same
user account.

> Is there some way we can include a CAPTCHA or something as part of
> registration?  The continued posting of spam replies is a drag.  (But
> requiring people to be group members to post would be even worse, so ...)

There is already a weak captcha.  But I don't think that even with a
strong captcha that it would really be improved.  Other sites with
very strong captchas are finding it insufficient.

I think the best that we can do is to create a way to block accounts
that are found to be offending and to react with removal of the spam
when spam is posted.

Bob