Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] my intro

From: Sylvain Beucler
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] my intro
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2008 19:27:47 +0100

Hi,

On Thu, Dec 11, 2008 at 09:24:29AM +0200, hiren wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-12-10 at 17:10 -0600, Karl Berry wrote:
> > gnu in project name:                Pass
> >
> > It's ok to have "gnu" in the project name if it is a gnu package.  I
> > don't see how your script can easily have access to that bit, though.

Possibly this can be an option, which itself could be given by the web
interface (if the script is integrated with the web interface in the
future).

> >     -- Searching for file 'license' in any case in root dir
> >
> > The license file is most often named "COPYING".  It should accept
> > anything starting with that.
>
> okay will do, beside "COPYING" or "LICENSE", is there other files we
> should look for, do we have a convention about what files to accept as a
> license file?
> I've seen some with LEGAL as well, not sure if that was a license
> though.

We recommend using 'COPYING' but we do not have any hard
requirement. As long as the license is present in the top-level
directory it's fine. I've seen files such as 'LGPL' or 'BSD' too.

I don't know what's best to look for the file. Either check all files
for bits of existing licenses, or check for a set of widespread file
names. It nothing is found, show `ls` to the user so she can easily
check manually?

--
Sylvain