[Savannah-hackers-public] Re: Savannah Mirror statistics

From: Sylvain Beucler
Subject: [Savannah-hackers-public] Re: Savannah Mirror statistics
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 2009 20:37:38 +0200

(If you don't mind I'm CCing savannah-hackers-public because other
people in the Savannah team are interested in knowing what we're
working on :))

> > > I was under the impression that SF did thier download counts via the
> > GeoIP
> > > redirect script ?
[...]
> > > Is that an option maybe ?
> >
> > Unfortunately Savannah is doing the redirect right after you click on
> > the "Download" link. I actually see the redirects in Savannah's Apache
> > logs, but do not know what file the user has selected (if any). As an
> > author, that is exactly what I want to know: how many people have
> > downloaded each version.
> >
> > To do it right we might do the redirect right after the user clicks on
> > a file -- or set up a new, intermediate page with links to each file
> > and which knows how to redirect.
> >
> > I am CC'ing Sylvain to know if he can gauge the effort implied in this
> > option -- if it is possible at all.

This will make us miss some downloads.  I don't know if SF handles
this case, but when a user saves the mirror link somewhere, mail it to
friends, put it in a script, etc, then people will directly hit the
mirror without passing through the SF mirror selection. So the most
accurate source of information is the mirror's log.

Restricting the redirection to files instead of directories might be a
good thing, though, to avoid people wondering "where did my file
disappear" right after they uploaded them :)  I'll have a look.

> One, thing that may or may not be an issue in this process, is that some of
> the projects do not have files for download on the mirrors, can't remember
> which one it was looking for at the time, they listed the files as being
> available but not available on my mirror. Maybe this is a permissions issue
> during rsync ..

Some people either have bad permissions, because they made a mistake,
or because they are using private projects.  Since there are only a
few of the latter, I probably could have a script tidy the
permissions.

Which reminds me, we added --ignore-errors to our recommended rsync command:
(http://www.gnu.org/server/mirror.html#nongnu)
  rsync -aHS --delete-excluded --ignore-errors rsync://dl.sv.gnu.org/releases/
/yourdir
This prevents delete or renamed files from staying on the mirror.

--
Sylvain