[Savannah-hackers-public] Re: [task #9015] Support Request for GAP proje

From: Alex Fernandez
Subject: [Savannah-hackers-public] Re: [task #9015] Support Request for GAP project: Split into GNU and non-GNU components.
Date: Thu, 25 Nov 2010 00:58:26 +0100

On Thu, Nov 25, 2010 at 12:39 AM, Riccardo Mottola <address@hidden> wrote:
> Are there any "requirements" that need to be additionally met when moving
> from nongnu to gnu? I checked what you ask when registering a new project
> and there seems to be no difference between gnu and nongnu. SOme kind of
> "review" done by savannah team perhaps?

There are a few requirements for GNU maintainers. I know of these ones:
  http://www.gnu.org/prep/maintain/maintain.html
Allow me to cc: the Savannah hackers public mailing list, where the
real experts dwell, so they can point out any additional requirements.
Don't be frightened by the size of the linked document; most of them
are already applied on Savannah reviews, and hold projects up to GNU
standards.

> What is the difference? The potential inclusion when GNU/HURD will be out
> and we will have a super-total GNU system?

The GNU project is (legally, morally and physically) responsible for
GNU projects. While the GNU project provides a hosting site for
non-GNU projects, this is done as a convenience for developers. That
is at least what I know, but I'm just a volunteer admin; I am sure
that others will elaborate.

Alex.