Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] (No subject header)

From: Michael J. Flickinger
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] (No subject header)
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2011 16:55:33 -0400

address@hidden wrote:
> What is "Savannah backers"? Tell the "Castro" person he or
> she should change that name. Bad connotation.

I'm going to make the supposition you meant "hacker."

In the mainstream media, the word hacker does have a pejorative
connotation.  However, among computer programmers, at large, it has a
positive one.  Searching for the definition of "hacker" on most search
engines will quickly reveal the word isn't limited to unethical activities.

http://catb.org/jargon/html/H/hacker.html

    1. A person who enjoys exploring the details of programmable systems
and how to stretch their capabilities, as opposed to most users, who
prefer to learn only the minimum necessary. RFC1392, the Internet Users'
Glossary, usefully amplifies this as: A person who delights in having an
intimate understanding of the internal workings of a system, computers
and computer networks in particular.

    2. One who programs enthusiastically (even obsessively) or who
enjoys programming rather than just theorizing about programming.

Best regards.