Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] Savannah bzr server errors out

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] Savannah bzr server errors out
Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2012 11:26:34 +0200

> From: Bake Timmons <address@hidden>
> Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2012 17:52:58 -0500
>
> I'm unable to upgrade my emacs trunk repo past certain revisions (106781
> and 106890).  Rather than download a whole bzr repo for a third time, I
> am reporting this problem and will just use a git repo until I can use
> bzr again.
>
> What the 'bzr pull' failures have in common is that they occur after
> about 2-2.5 hours on my 28.8 kbps dialup connection (a little over 20MB
> of data transferred).  The failures happen using bzr, nosmart+bzr, and
> http protocols and under the bzr client versions 2.5b4 and 2.5b5.
> Running 'bzr check' showed nothing wrong with the repo, in the case of
> emacs trunk version 106781 and in the case of version 106890.
> [...]
>   File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/bzrlib/smart/message.py", line 286,
> in _read_more
>     "Unexpected end of message. "
> ConnectionReset: Connection closed: Unexpected end of message. Please check
> connectivity and permissions, and report a bug if problems persist.

It's a "feature": the savannah bzr server has a 2-hour timeout, so it
simply closes the connection after that.

The timeout was introduced because otherwise zombie instances of the
bzr server would be left after broken connections and gradually bring
bzr.savannah to its knees.

I'm told that bzr 2.5, to be released in a few weeks, will have
built-in features that will allow to remove the timeout.  I hope once
bzr 2.5 is out, we could have it installed on savannah and fix this
problem.

Until then, I'm afraid your only choice would be to use a faster link.

Martin, is there any other workaround?  For that matter, did I
describe the issue correctly?

Thanks.