Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] No copyrightable files?

From: Karl Berry
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] No copyrightable files?
Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2012 22:48:13 GMT

    https://savannah.gnu.org/task/index.php?12064

Well, this is indeed an unusual case.

Although no single file is over 10 lines, I suspect that the collection
of files overall would still be considered copyrightable.  After all,
it's more than 50 files.

Since the individual files are so tiny, though, it would be pointless to
GPL them.  So my recommendation would be to use a permissive license,
such as Expat.  Include a file named "LICENSE" at the top level with the
text from http://www.jclark.com/xml/copying.txt (changing the copyright
line of course), and then put something like
# License: Expat
into each file.  That would fit into the existing setup.  Plus a
top-level README explaining.

In any event, an explicit copyright/license remains desirable, if only
to stop useless questioning down the line, e.g., if this gets included
in a distro or something.

Sound reasonable?

Thanks (for everything),
Karl