Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] Running GNU Savannah (frontend) locally

From: beuc
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] Running GNU Savannah (frontend) locally
Date: Wed, 3 Sep 2014 22:43:49 +0200

Hi,

There is so much to comment on...
The world is not black & white, Assaf.

The fact that Savannah data is not easily parsable is a form of
protection, admittedly weak, but still.  If it's so easy to grab the
data then let's not worry about publishing a dump ourselves.  This is
also a legal matter, as soon as you deal with personnal data
aggregation.  Let's not confuse data and aggregated data: checking
what date you coded a feature is one thing, profiling your work-hours
habits by aggregating your activity is another.  In addition, in the
current context of NSA aggregating data, I think it'd be a bad PR move
to start shipping out most of our DB for the sake of it.

Discussion with Savannah users: yes there are a lot of users, but we
can still initiate a discussion, e.g. on planet.gnu.org or on
savannah-users.  Covering enough users to get a representative
feedback.

BUT as a pre-requisite of all this, I'll re-ask my initial point more
clearly: what good is there to work specifically on the Savane
db-structure/project, which various Savannah Hackers, me included,
have failed to revive in the past, which is now dead for years, when
there are other forge projects alive?

Just for reference, I just spent the last month full-time to revamp
FusionForge's build system and it's now fully packaged for Debian and
RedHat, automated install.  I'll spend next month implementing
no-cron, immediate system replication.  And I don't even think
FusionForge is the most active project.

Check the "Unfork!" talk I gave at the GNU Hackers Meeting, whose
video will be posted soon, if you're not convinced already :)

- Sylvain