Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] /etc/aliases on internal?

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] /etc/aliases on internal?
Date: Sat, 7 May 2016 15:57:47 -0600

Hi Assaf!

Assaf Gordon wrote:
> I have some bits and piece,
> from when I tried to assemble the "SavannahInternals" page
> (http://savannah.gnu.org/maintenance/SavannahInternals/ ), though
> the information there seems somewhat out dated.

This is a good time for me to say that I have been referring to your
documentation on that page a lot lately.  It is a treasure trove of
information about the internals of Savannah.  Thank you very much for
writing that up!

> Looking at the "Cron job on vcs" section on this page mentions
> "sv_aliases" script in "/etc/cron.d/sv" which rebuilds
> /etc/aliases.
>
> checking now in internal:/etc/cron.d/sv I see something similar:
> ===
> ################################################ MAIL RELATED
> # Commented, since there is no mail service at savannah
> So even though the comments said "commented", there is an enabled
> call to sv_aliases.

Agree that is a very interesting comment.  Obviously things were, then
were not, then were again.

> # List of mail-/etc/aliases must be rebuild regularly
> #*/10 * * * *   root    sv_aliases --cron
> # This, plus create a file full of address@hidden to override the sender (and
> avoid SRS- or SPF- issues)
> */10 * * * *    root    sv_aliases --cron && sed -e '/# Savannah include
> start/,/# Savannah include end/s/\([^:]\+\): .*/\1: address@hidden/'
> /etc/email-addresses -e 's,This is /etc/email-addresses,DO NOT EDIT -
> GENERATED FROM email-addresses.,' > /etc/email-addresses_SENDER

[[ Aside: I am going to shame a little.  The header line in sv_aliases says:
  # <one line to give a brief idea of what this does.>
Really?  These hints are invaluable and people can't write one line of
description there? ]]

The script does a "use Savane;" and I have never looked at the perl
code and so this is somewhat of a black box to me.  But it appears to
pull this information from the database on internal.

> Hope this helps, I can try to investigate further.

It helps!  Thanks!

Don't burn yourself out on this part.  Now that the new hardware is
running it means we will be able to get new VMs very soon.  That is
when we will be needing your Savannah expertise in order to migrate
and site overhaul.  Things are going to get interesting very soon.

Bob