Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] Pusing to Git repo declined

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] Pusing to Git repo declined
Date: Tue, 24 May 2016 21:27:11 -0600

Assaf Gordon wrote:
> Hello Aljosha,
> > Aljosha Papsch wrote:
> > today I tried pushing to a Git repository via SSH, but it fails:
> > remote: error: hook declined to update refs/heads/master
> > Why does Savannah reject my changes? If it's really about coding style,
> > as the messages suggest, I will be happy fixing those. But I can't believe
> > Savannah is trying to make me push clean files :) Is there some other issue?
>
> Let me check that and hopefully I'll have an answer soon.

Honestly I when I set up that repository I simply cloned the coreutils
setup.  It has that configuration.  Sometimes the cut-n-paste paradigm
can catch up with you.  That is the case here and how I did it.

However I personally would consider it.  Most of the issues it was
complaining about look like real issues to me.  It was complaining
about spaces before TABs.  That is almost always a bad thing.  It
complains if the file doesn't end with a newline.  Not ending with a
newline causes the file to be treated as a binary file instead of a
text file since by definition text files are lines terminated by
newlines.  Things like that are actually very important errors.  The
trailing whitespace is a much lessor issue but tends to be a problem
for gratuitious diffs between different committers.

I have removed that hook from the git repository.  You won't get that
rejection from it for any content now.  Sorry for the unpleasant
interaction from my cloning another setup for you.

Bob