Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] Web CVS server unavailable

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] Web CVS server unavailable
Date: Wed, 07 Dec 2016 23:33:24 +0100

Hello!

Bob Proulx <address@hidden> skribis:

> Ludovic Courtès wrote:
>> This particular file takes 7 MiB and has a large history (it is updated
>> daily), which perhaps makes things worse.
>
> Oh!  I apologize that I didn't fully investigate this with the
> previous exchange.  Because vcs often gets overloaded I assumed that
> was the problem again.  Because when I looked it was all very happy at
> that time.  That was bad of me.  Sorry.
>
> But reading this I now realize that it is a somewhat different
> problem.
>
>   vcs:/srv/cvs/web/guix/guix# du -sh
>   1.9G    .
>
> Wow!  1.9G of web page!  That is a LOT.  Most of it in one file.
>
>   vcs:/srv/cvs/web/guix/guix/packages# ll
>   total 1267580
>   -r--r--r--+ 1 civodul guix 1243780406 Apr 19 11:07 index.html,v
>   -r--r--r--+ 1 civodul guix   54200311 Apr 14 01:29 issues.html,v
>
> Oh my goodness.  That is a very large rcs file!

We have a solution to this problem (we no longer need the 7 MiB
index.html \o/), but now I can neither update nor remove index.html: CVS
fails out with “cannot allocate memory” on the server side.

Could you nuke it somehow?  (History doesn’t matter.)

Also, it might be related, but updates to one the Guix web site CSS
files fail to lead to an update on the web site.  That is:

$ cvs ci -m Update. static/base/css
cvs commit: Examining static/base/css
/web/guix/guix/static/base/css/packages.css,v  <--  static/base/css/packages.css
Triggering webpages update...

This works fine, but several hours later:

  wget -q -O - http://www.gnu.org/software/guix/static/base/css/packages.css
|head

… is still showing me the old version of the file.

Ideas?

Thanks,
Ludo’.