Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] Completely removing project Aping from Sav

From: Kantor Zsolt
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] Completely removing project Aping from Savannah non-gnu
Date: Sat, 10 Nov 2018 16:31:38 +0000 (UTC)

First of all, thank you very much! To be honest 90% I thought it will be not
deleted. Second I've put in the CC the public list, to try to avoid the
Streisand Effect :D
Thanks again,Zsolt Kantor

    On Saturday, 10 November 2018, 17:40, Bob Proulx <address@hidden> wrote:

 Kantor Zsolt wrote:
> Ok, I understand. It is not a problem if my project remains on the
> Savannah servers,

The GNU Policy for hosted free software projects is that they are to
always remain available to the community.  Even if the original
maintainer leaves or becomes disabled others might pick the project up
and continue it.

> but there is a picture that I committed many years
> ago to the web cvs repository. I deleted it, but as you know it is
> not really deleted, just 'hidden'. The picture is a personal one,
> with personal content, and I would do not like to stay there. Could
> you please do me a favor and delete for real that picture from the
> web cvs? ... direct link to the picture

The policy is that when files have been committed to the community
that they should not be removed.  However I sympathize with you and
therefore I broke the rules and did remove that (innocuous in my
opinion) image from the repository as it is not source code and is
purely peripheral to the project.  Note however that we have no
control over any other mirror site that may have additional copies of
projects.

Requests such as these of this type should always be made to
savannah-hackers-private as the savannah-hackers-public list is also
public and just draws attention to these things.  Are you aware of the
Streisand Effect?  The act of trying to suppress something simply
calls more attention to it.

  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Streisand_effect

Usually it is best to leave sleeping dogs lie.

Bob