Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] New sshd configuration

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] New sshd configuration
Date: Sat, 5 Jan 2019 17:46:09 -0700

Bob Proulx wrote:
> >   AuthorizedKeysCommandUser root
> >   Match User root
> >           AuthorizedKeysCommand /bin/true
> >   Match all
> >           AuthorizedKeysCommand /root/bin/sv_get_authorized_keys
> >
> > I have tested that locally.  Seems to do the desired thing.  And that
> > was what prevented me from being able to log in after a reboot
> > previously.  I am deploying it on vcs0.
>
> Actually...  Upon reflection...
>
> Match User root
> Match ALL
>         AuthorizedKeysCommandUser nobody
>         AuthorizedKeysCommand /root/bin/sv_get_authorized_keys
>
> Much better!  And it uses a non-root user for the query.

"I missed it by _that_ much!"  (Picture Max Smart holding up two
fingers.)  This is the cause of the breakage of that test suite.  The
user needs access to the sv_get_authorized_keys script and while on
vcs0 it was accessible on download0 /root was restricted.  I thought
of this while up Poudre Canyon and called Karl and had him fix it.
That part worked, had access to ssh keys again, and stopped asking for
passwords.  Good.

But turns out that was only half the fix.  The same NFS uid mapping on
the back end problem existed that blocked things next.  I had disabled
that on both old vcs and olddownload so as not to lock me out during
the IP change and hadn't put it back because why does NFS need to know
this information?  Well it turns out it does for the problem of
someone belonging to more than 16 groups, the old hard limit.  The uid
mapping allows a workaround to have someone in more than 16 groups.
But it requires that the NFS backend server know about all of the
account information.  Since I had broken and fixed that on old vcs I
did the same process on olddownload.

Bob