Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] Remove resume feature to prevent abuse?

From: John Sullivan
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] Remove resume feature to prevent abuse?
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2019 11:02:48 -0400

Ineiev <address@hidden> writes:

> On Thu, Mar 14, 2019 at 12:43:13AM -0400, John Sullivan wrote:
>>
>> What are the benefits to removing inactive accounts?
>>
>> I named one, which is security.
>
> I don't think I understand the threats in question very well.

I am not the expert on Savannah's specifics here, but in general two
security risks from old accounts are:

1) people re-use passwords and usernames on multiple sites. The impact
of any breach is magnified by the number of accounts; so it is a
needless risk magnifier to have lots of old unused accounts around

2) old abandoned accounts that have commit or other kinds of access pose
increased security risks to the projects themselves, because it tends to
be true that their credentials are not as well protected by their
original owners

-john

GPG Key: A462 6CBA FF37 6039 D2D7 5544 97BA 9CE7 61A0 963B
https://status.fsf.org/johns | https://fsf.org/blogs/RSS

<https://my.fsf.org/join>.