Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] Download mirror redirection is broken

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] Download mirror redirection is broken
Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2019 16:20:20 -0600

Bob Proulx wrote:
> Things are back online.  I temporarily disabled the redirection in
> order to avoid the 404 errors.  Files are being served directly.
> Which is okay.  It is simply a bandwidth issue.

The redirectory is back online yesterday.  Closing on this email now.
The problem was when I migrated the cron scripts from the old system
to the new system I hadn't gotten one of them working at that moment
due to permissions.  The very small one line cron script that updates
a 00_TIME.txt file in the archive wasn't updating it.  Mirrors then
mirrored the entire archive okay.  But Mirmon look at the timestamp
stored in that file and decided the mirrors were too old.  The
redirector script then started dropping them from the list.
Eventually the redirector had none and produced an invalid URL
producing the 404 errors.

Of course I fixed the cron and then Mirmon and the mirrors came back
into the good list.  I also fixed the redirector so that if in the
future there are no mirrors again that instead of producing a 404
invalid url it will produce a correct URL using the Savannah mirror.
We will still detect the problem through Mirmon but it will prevent
users from being negatively impacted by it.

Bob