Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] Adding some counters for visits on project

From: Ineiev
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] Adding some counters for visits on project's page
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2023 08:59:05 +0000

On Fri, Jul 14, 2023 at 05:16:06PM +0200, Andrea Monaco via Discussions among
Savannah Hackers, open subscription wrote:

> I think that Savane provides no counter or estimation of how many people
> view your projects' page.
>
> That feature would have some value, I think.  It could provide some
> motivation for development.  And I recall someone proposing it
> somewhere, but I didn't found it among the support tickets.
>
> What do you think?  I'm willing to implement that feature.

One of GNU ethical repository criteria suggests that the site
shouldn't log anything about visitors,
https://www.gnu.org/software/repo-criteria.html#A-plus-1

Additional downsides I can see is increased code complexity and
possible abuses (e.g. it would be easy to visit a page multiple
times with a script without actually using it---that would waste
our resources).

And when no people contact the package, probably the developers
could work on something more useful.