Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] frontend2 /usr/bin/python switched from py

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] frontend2 /usr/bin/python switched from python2 to python3
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2023 15:00:02 -0600

Ineiev wrote:
> Bob Proulx wrote:
> > The subject almost says it all.  Andrew requested /usr/bin/python be
> > python3 on frontend1 for FSF scripts.  I switched it over.  I have no
> > idea if this will have an effect on any of the python scripts on the
> > machine already.  Will it?  I am not a python person so I don't know.
>
> Savane doesn't use python; it runs PHP and Perl.

While I know that the majority of the web frontend is PHP, plus perl,
plus shell, I can only imagine there is also some plus python in there
too.  It's a little of this and a little of that!  It would not
surprise me to find a python script running somewhere in there.

Also on older systems there is some interaction.  There was a request
to make the default python python3 on debbugs too.  But doing that
with the package system wants to remove apache and mailman.  Okay
mailman is written in python2 so that makes sense but what's the
apache2 package dependency upon python2?  I did not dig into it.
Better to keep that system unmodified anyway until we can spend more
time on it.  I am just using it as an example of an unexpected
entanglement.

Bob