Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] "task #14222: Submission of Ad Reaper"

From: Paul Walker
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] "task #14222: Submission of Ad Reaper"
Date: Sat, 16 Mar 2024 22:46:33 +0000

Hi Bob (and all)

Apologies for taking so long to reply; someone appears to have stolen a few weeks while I wasn't looking. I've noticed that happening more as I
get older...

Did I miss something which means it's not been responded to? Or did
it just fall through the cracks?
I am a terrible person because I rarely work on project submissions.

I'm not sure that would qualify you for that description. :-)

Very tiny things that are just a single shell script or two have a high overhead because they have to be reviewed and maintained and such. And so on the basis of that submission being so small I myself would have been thinking very hard about whether it was suitable or
not.

Yes, it did seem rather small; also very niche. I suspect the latter isn't necessarily a disqualifier but it would make sense given a fixed
overhead that you want a package to be of a reasonable size and
utility. Thanks for being expanding on that so clearly.

There has been a lot of discussion and some activity on the idea of the GNU Project setting up a more hands-off self-service software forge for hosting whatever the user wants much more like some of the non-free commercial sites do now. I think it will happen at some
point.

It's .. not exactly a crowded space, but it's also one with a number of people already serving that role, so I can understand it's not top of
the priorities.

Hope this helps to explain one of the possible reasons that submission didn't get any traction. Probably there was not an excess of reviewer time and so that one just slipped through. Which is definitely a poor
reflection on us as reviewers.  We should do better.

Definitely makes sense, I only really noticed it because I was checking
for stalled project submissions.

That's one of the reasons I am excited to see that you are taking an interest in helping out! Perhaps you might subscribe to this mailing
list and contribute!  It would really help out. :-)

Sure, I'll go find the sign-up page. I'll also try my best to respond in
a more timely fashion next time. :-)

Thanks
Paul