Re: OpenDrain not working

From: Klaus
Subject: Re: OpenDrain not working
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2019 19:33:54 +0100

Hi,
Yes, but no response to queries or patches for some years, so I figure
we're on our own now.

Great! :-)

After years of absence I try again to run the current git HEAD. As known
OpenDrain and LCD is not working in that version.

I try to get OpenDrain running but I run against a wall. Can anyone help
to get that working again?

There are so many changes between that last working version and the
current head that I have no idea what finally breaks that feature.

The last working version is perhaps the best one to move forward, then.
If any subsequent change is mission critical, a cross-branch merge of
just that should be fairly simple. (At least it is in cvs, which I still
use at home.) Trying to diagnose and fix abandonware is not a survival
strategy, I figure.

It is a long time since I last used simulavr, as diagnostic logging on a
running AVR usually suffices for my needs.

Isn't the shiny new "It has to be C++" version of simulavr your baby?

Yes, I had started that migration to C++. And after a while a lot of
people bring a lot of new features and add a lot of good stuff. But some
things are broken now...

I spend some hours now to see what is the problem on the OpenDrain and I
got a solution. But there is definitely a bit more of unit testing todo
to let that be valid change...

The changed lcd implementation is incompatible with my "older" one.
maybe I will add simply a second one "lcd2" or so.

The tracer stuff is quite complicated and I still have no idea what and
why is going on. But it should be possible to hack some more infos to
the trace. What I am really missing is all the values. In "old" version
we have the content of each memory and register change. Current version
only prints out the assembler command and nobody knows what the
instruction has done.

But before adding somethings, the prog crash should be fixed. The tracer
crashes after a few lines, no idea if that is a memory corruption or
buffer overrun or.... simply not looked into it. But it only needs
seconds to crash. I wonder why nobody has seen that as it is in there
for a long time. Seems really nobody is using the tool :-)

Maybe avr is totally outdated and all the people are running arm
devices. Don't know. :-)

OK, if you or someone else has some fun on fixing.... :-)

Regards
 Klaus

Erik