sks-devel

Re: [Sks-devel] Launching a new keyserver on keys.openpgp.org!

From: Vincent Breitmoser
Subject: Re: [Sks-devel] Launching a new keyserver on keys.openpgp.org!
Date: Sat, 15 Jun 2019 22:50:27 +0200

Hi Tom,

> Are you also planning to add SKS-compatible endpoints over http? Eg:
> https://keys.openpgp.org/pks/lookup?search=look@my.amazin.horse

Of course! This is already supported, your URI just wasn't valid because it
didn't include an "op" paramter:
https://keys.openpgp.org/pks/lookup?op=get&search=look@my.amazin.horse
https://keys.openpgp.org/pks/lookup?op=index&search=look@my.amazin.horse

This is also documented in our API documentation. I daresay it's even hard to
miss, making up almost half the page?  https://keys.openpgp.org/about/api

> Similar for uploading (after which you send your email verification). It
> may help some users transition.

It is common practice to use `--send-keys` on other people's keys, to publish
new signatures. I also don't want to send out many emails if users have many
user ids. For that reason we probably won't be able to use that API endpoint to
send out email verifications.

I thought about sending out a "welcome" mail to the primary user id when a key
is first uploaded via HKP. This wouldn't be for verification, but just informs
the user about the service, and that their key was just uploaded (by them or
somebody else). But so far this isn't implemented, and it's not too high on my
list of priorities.

> Is there any counter to see roughly how many keys are available?

There is not, but perhaps there should be! I can say that so far (since launch),
there are about 800 verified e-mail addresses. :)

Since we imported the sks-dump as an initial seed, there are also some 5M+ keys
without identities. Wouldn't want anyone to miss revocations that are already
available via SKS when they switch to us.

 - V