sks-devel

Re: [Sks-devel] The pool is shrinking

From: Todd Fleisher
Subject: Re: [Sks-devel] The pool is shrinking
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2019 12:22:57 -0700

> On Jun 21, 2019, at 8:00 AM, Skip Carter <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> Signed PGP part
> As a newcomer to the pool, I have to agree.
> There are several impediments to becoming a keyserver that just
> shouldn't be and the need for daily poking at it is just one of those
> things.  There were several times where I was just ready to give up on
> it.

FWIW - in my experience, once you get things setup & dialed-in there is no need
for daily poking at it. My load balanced pools have been running for months
with only the occasional intervention required by me.

> On Jun 21, 2019, at 6:21 AM, Hendrik Visage <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> The word “cluster” there is the “problem” for hobby setups: we now have to
> source at least 2x 8GB RAM VMs, where the previous single 2-4GB VMs were
> sufficient to keep going

I can understand the frustration, but things change and in the current state of
the SKS network more resources are required. I’d also say the idea of this
being a “hobby” is in direct opposition to this being a public, production
service that people rely on which IMO would always dictate at least 3 nodes for
redundancy.

> On Jun 21, 2019, at 12:33 AM, Kristian Fiskerstrand <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> No, issuing certificates to servers not being able to keep up doesn't
> improve the experience from anyone (the number of complaints I get from
> users has dropped significantly). And its not really a strict
> requirement, one can set up VMs / chroots for it on a relatively small
> server.

This could mean that people are having less issues with the HKPS pool, but it’s
also possible there are other reasons for a decrease in complaints. Personally,
I switched my systems (and the systems of users I support) away from using the
HKPS pool in favor of using my server(s) due to the ongoing complaints about
intermittent availability & performance issues in the HKPS pool. That’s not
meant as a dig on your approach, just letting you know my experience. On the
contrary, I found you to be quite responsive last September when I reported a
major issue with 2/3 of the servers in the HKPS pool generating 502 errors.

-T