sks-devel

Re: hockeypuck recommended key size limit setting?

From: Iñaki Arenaza
Subject: Re: hockeypuck recommended key size limit setting?
Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2022 18:30:55 +0200

Hi Steffen,

the limit you are seeing there is for individual packets[1] inside a
key. There is a separate configurable limit for the whole key size
(which is 1 MB in the configuration used by default with the
docker-compose setup)

I use the default limits in my HockeyPuck server and I also see a lot of
such warnings (and also for oversized keys). In many cases such big
packets are from images embedded in they keys. As those are not used by
HockeyPuck or SKS at all, many operators decide to discard them. And of
course it also helps with some types of key spam attacks[2].

[1] See https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/rfc4880#section-4.1 for
the meaning of packet in this context.
[2]
https://github.com/hockeypuck/hockeypuck/wiki/HIP-1:-Regaining-control-over-public-key-identity-with-authenticated-key-management#summary-of-the-key-spam-problem