Re: RunAway milters

From: Dan Nelson
Subject: Re: RunAway milters
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2003 12:00:57 -0500

In the last episode (Apr 11), Chuck Yerkes said:
> Platform:
> OpenBSD 3.3/SPARC.
>
> Running an unpatched current download (0.1.3a).
> Straight build, no issues.
>
> Every couple hours, I get one that's running away eating CPU.  A
> ktrace on it show this forever (10's of thousands/second):
>
>  29721 spamass-milter PSIG  SIGSEGV SIG_DFL code 2 addr=0x8b8c3dd4 trapno=2
>  29721 spamass-milter PSIG  SIGSEGV SIG_DFL code 2 addr=0x8b8c3dd4 trapno=2
>
> Of course, when I run it in debugging mode, filling my logs, it
> won't runaway.  Grrrr.

That's weird.  If that ktrace is right, that means the program is seg
faulting, the SIGSEGV handler is set to its default (i.e. kill the
process), but the process is not being killed.  That should not happen :) .

Try attaching to the process with gdb ("gdb 1234", or whatever the pid
of the process is) and print a live stack trace from that.

--
        Dan Nelson
        address@hidden