Re: spamass.sock unsafe 0.1.3

From: Dan Nelson
Subject: Re: spamass.sock unsafe 0.1.3
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2003 11:22:08 -0500

In the last episode (Apr 30), Robert Wagner said:
> I am working on Redhat 9.  It seems to work when I run:
> /etc/rc.d/init.d/spamass-milter start
> manually as root.  I have tried adding this command to rc.local, but it
> doesn't start + no messages in syslog.  Other programs like snort start fine
> from rc.local.  I even tried:
> su - root -c "/etc/rc.d/init.d/spamass-milter start"
> in rc.local, but that didn't work.
> Any ideas?

The usual way to run stuff in init.d is to create an appropriate
symlink in rc[345].d.  You can use the ntsysv or linuxconf gui tools,
or the chkconfig commandline tool to automate the process.

> I noticed that /var/lock/subsys is owned by root.root
> when trying to start with a non-privileged user I get:
> touch: creating `/var/lock/subsys/spamass-milter': Permission denied

The startup script needs to be run as root, but you can launch
spamass-milter as another user within the script.  Try adding a
--user=nobody line to the daemon line:

  daemon --user=nobody spamass-milter -p ${SM_SOCKET} -f ${SM_EXTRA_FLAGS}

If you run as nobody you may also need to change the location of the
socket, since the 'nobody' user cannot write into /var/run.

--
        Dan Nelson
        address@hidden