Re: Log messages from sendmail (slightly strange)

From: Cassandra Lynette Brockett
Subject: Re: Log messages from sendmail (slightly strange)
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2003 11:01:10 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: "Dan Nelson" <address@hidden>
To: "Cassandra Lynette Brockett" <address@hidden>
Cc: <address@hidden>
Sent: Thursday, July 31, 2003 8:24 AM

<snip>

> You should have always seen those two actually (plus X-Spam-Report if
> always_add_report is set to 1 in your local.cf).  It could be that
> RedHat and Debian install SpamAssasin with different defaults.

I had noticed that when I looked through the new documentation.  The old
doco's I read (when I first installed the milter actually), seemed to
insinuate I would not get any headers with the -m option.

<snip>
> Adding "always_add_headers 0" to your spamassassin config will tell it
> not to add X-Spam-Status, X-Spam-Checker-Version, or X-Spam-Level to
> non-spam.  All the headers will still be added to spam, though.

Umm... but the server needs to add headers when it runs the second time
through, so even though I had thought of that option, it would be difficult
to do that for only one of the two runs that happens on each message.

> I guess I could also add a '-M' flag to spamass-milter that says "never
> modify the message at all", which would have to be used in conjunction
> with the -r, -b or -B options to be of any use.  Is that what you're
> looking for?

That actually sounds great.  At the moment I am having the problem of trying
to prove to people that I can just run spamassassin from the milter and not
from /etc/procmail and receive the same results... when I can prove that is
possible, then I will be pulling the run from /etc/procmail (CPU load is not
a concern for us here on this server).

> > Those headers could also be causing the hits with razor2 when
spamassassin
> > is being run from the global procmailrc, but not from spamass-milter, so
it
> > would be interesting to see the results without this in there...
>
> Razor does not look at headers, so that can't be the problem here..

Well, somehow Razor has been hitting on some messages after they pass
through milter - so I can only assume that either the milter does something
to the message, or else it is somehow looking at headers.

I have plenty of details from old logs where the messages will get a score
of 7.1 when it passes through the milter and then 16.1 when run through
/etc/procmail - and the second pass the only additional hits are
razor2_check and razor2_90 (I have modified the razor rating to 4.5).

The milter works fine with the pyzor checks, they hit perfectly either way,
but razor2 seems to be doing something different than it is documented to
do, unfortunately.  We are going to try running without razor2 here to see
if it's really neccessary, though we would like to keep it.

Regards,
    Cassandra