spamass-milter hangs on FreeBSD 5.3

From: Ludger Bolmerg
Subject: spamass-milter hangs on FreeBSD 5.3
Date: Tue, 05 Apr 2005 14:19:35 +0200

I am using spamass-milter 0.3.0 from the ports collection on FreeBSD 5.3.  SA
version is 3.0.2 and sendmail 8.13.1

spamass-milter is running ok for a while before the process hangs.

ps   shows that the process is stopped
  798  ??  TLs   11:26.76 /usr/local/sbin/spamass-milter -f -p
/var/run/spamass-milter.sock

ps also shows some idle spamc processes and a few zombies.

Unfortunately I cannot kill the spamass-milter process.  Even kill -9 do not
remove the process from the system,  so I am not able to create a core dump.

It seems that the problems occurs under high load.  The last time I had the
problem sendmail had started to reject connections because the maximum number
of children was reached.

Any ideas how I could trace the issue.

Ludger