Re: Question about sendmail.mc

From: Joe Maimon
Subject: Re: Question about sendmail.mc
Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2005 11:38:35 -0400

Thomas Cameron wrote:
Hi all -

<snip>
This will put different settings for confMILTER_MACROS_CONNECT and
confMILTER_MACROS_HELO into my sendmailmc file.  I can't imagine that is
a good thing.

They are different stages in the milter protocol. Its not specifically neccessary that the same macros be available to each milter callback from sendmail.

Can someone who understands milters better than me give me a layman's
explanation of what all these conf* entries in sendmail.mc are so I can
make a decision about what to do when I run into conflicting
instructions like this?

Merge the conf* lines so that you only have one of each. I do not know what happens if you have multiple ones.

These lines instruct sendmail which sendmail macros to make available to the milter for read only access.

Milters can do usefull things with the data.

Or, if you know of a good FM to R that can explain this in a way that a
non-programmer, non-sendmail guru can understand, that would be great as
well.

Unfortunately, I only know the way this geek learned sendmail. Try it. It wont hurt you and you may learn something.

Download the sendmail.org sendmail 8.13.4 tarball.

Check these files

tar zxf sendmail.8.13.4.tar.gz
cd sendmail-8.13.4
less README INSTALL sendmail/SECURITY sendmail/README cf/README
cd doc/op
make op.txt
less op.txt
cd ../../libmilter/docs
lynx index.html
lynx http://www.sendmail.org/faq/

Go out and buy the "Bat Book" third edition.

Thanks!
Thomas