speechd-discuss

Re: speechd-el issues / questions

From: Samuel Thibault
Subject: Re: speechd-el issues / questions
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2024 00:47:48 +0200

Hello,

Milan Zamazal, le mer. 10 avril 2024 21:41:05 +0200, a ecrit:
>     ODR> * make a pause speaking I enjoy listening to EBooks opened in
>     ODR> nov.el or other longer texts in text buffers.  Is there any
>     ODR> way, to get a short pause in between paragraphs while speaking
>     ODR> the whole buffer?  F.e. that 2 consecutively following
>     ODR> line-endss get converted to a 1 second pause?
>
> I’m not aware about an easy way to do it.  If Speech Dispatcher doesn’t
> offer such a functionality, maybe it could be implemented in speechd-el,
> the question is how.  One way would be using SSML <break>, which
> requires support in the Speech Dispatcher output module.

Espeak does support it for instance. Most others do not support SSML. I
added a ticket about adding some support globally for all modules:

https://github.com/brailcom/speechd/issues/905

> Other options may be limited as it seems there is no SSIP command to
> insert a pause.

That could be a new command indeed, I added

https://github.com/brailcom/speechd/issues/906

> If there is no better mechanism then a silent sound icon could do the
> job.

In the meanwhile that's the simplest indeed.

Samuel