summer-of-code

Re: [gnu-soc] [IMPORTANT] GNU GSOC proposals ranking

From: Jose E. Marchesi
Subject: Re: [gnu-soc] [IMPORTANT] GNU GSOC proposals ranking
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2023 13:18:32 +0200

Hi Samuel.

> Hello Jose,
>
> Jose E. Marchesi, le lun. 24 avril 2023 10:58:45 +0200, a ecrit:
>> - For each participating GNU program, I need a clear list of proposals
>>   ordered from most priority to less priority.
>
> For Rust-on-GNU/Hurd:
>
> - Vedant Tewari
> https://summerofcode.withgoogle.com/organizations/gnu-project/programs/2023/proposals/details/pCFrB0wD
> put a very ample description of the work, ins and outs, etc. he
> is a *very* promising candidate. He told me that he applied for
> other projects in other orgs, but the GNU project clearly has his
> preference. AIUI however google assigns projects according to the
> ranking exposed by orgs, so if we do not rank his project high, he may
> be assigned to a project in another org.
>
> - Masoud
> https://summerofcode.withgoogle.com/organizations/gnu-project/programs/2023/proposals/details/bRaFf5mh
> put a much smaller description (and significantly taken from the project
> idea page), but that shows that he would have the ground skills to work
> on the project.

I see that both proposals above are for the same project: "Porting Rust
to GNU/Hurd".  I don't think it makes much sense to ask for slots for
more than one proposal for the same project/idea: what if you get slots
for both?

So I am including Vedant Tewari's proposal for now based on the details
you provide above.  Please let me know if you prefer the other proposal
to be ranked instead.