summer-of-code

[gnu-soc] Your GnuCOBOL application (was: GSOC)

From: Simon Sobisch
Subject: [gnu-soc] Your GnuCOBOL application (was: GSOC)
Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2024 22:00:40 +0100

Date: Thu, 29 Feb 2024 21:12:51 +0200
From: Ahmed Maher <ahmed.maher.ahmed.309@gmail.com>
To: summer-of-code@gnu.org
Subject: [gnu-soc] GSOC

Dear GNU Team,

I hope this email finds you well. I'm excited about the GnuCOBOL project
for Google Summer of Code and eager to contribute. I think my small
background in compiler development and OS development aligns well with the
project's goals.

Some of my key projects:

    - Developed a compiler for a C-like language, covering parsing, semantic
    analysis, optimization, and code generation.
    - Proficient in low-level programming and system architecture through
    operating systems development.
    - Skilled in network programming for effective collaboration.

I'm keen to learn from your team and contribute meaningfully. Could you
please guide me on how to get involved with the GnuCOBOL project?

Looking forward to your response.

Github profile: https://github.com/AhmedMaher309

Best regards,

Ahmed Maher

Hello Ahmed and welcome and thank you for your interest in contributing to GnuCOBOL with GSOC2024!

The best way to get involved is to learn about the project: install GnuCOBOL from source, check out the discussions and documentation, and check out the existing project ideas (you can extend them or come up with your own)-
You can find links for all of this at
https://www.gnu.org/software/gnucobol .

Feel free to contact me directly, as I'm probably the mentor on the GnuCOBOL side. Start with email and we'll see what works well for communication.

It will also be useful to familiarize yourself with GSOC.
Google suggests watching some application videos [1],
checking the FAQ [2] and the rules [3].

Thanks again for your interest,
Simon

[1]: https://yewtu.be/watch?v=YN7uGCg5vLg