Re: [Swarm-Support] Recommended Linux distro for Swarm

From: Paul Johnson
Subject: Re: [Swarm-Support] Recommended Linux distro for Swarm
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 2009 13:19:17 -0500

Doscher, Crile wrote:
Hi all (and Paul in particular I suspect),

Has any one got a recommendation on the best distro for Swarm?  I've
used Fedora most recently and just wondering if Ubuntu is a better
option.  Or is it a matter of personal taste?  Thanks -

I am supporting people who use Centos 5.3 in our computer lab with RPMs. I switched from Fedora because Fedora is too frequently updated and version 8 of Fedora was so bad for my systems that I spent a countless number of hours tracking down fundamental problems. So if you are looking for a system you can install and use for a few years, Centos is a good bet. (same as RedHat enterprise linux, basically). I try to remember to copy RPMs I build up here

http://pj.freefaculty.org/Centos

I also have one Fedora system where I make RPMS for swarm. Alex Lancaster is already an official package maintainer in the Fedora group and he will take this over, I think, and swarm may pop up in the official Fedora channel at some point. Until then, you can use what i have.

http://pj.freefaculty.org/Fedora (or
http://pj.freefaculty.org/Swarm, which should be symbolically linked)

I have Ubuntu on a laptop and make deb packages with that. I just uploaded them

http://pj.freefaculty.org/Ubuntu

Ubuntu is mostly like Debian, with some beautification, AFAICT.

So I think you are "pretty safe" if you have any of those major flavors.

I do not have any SUSE boxes, but in the past sometimes people have given me accounts on them and RPMS were built without too much trouble. I've never run Slackware, Gentoo, Mint or PClinuxOS or any of the myriad of other Linuxes.

If you are only interested in working on Swarm models, Centos is surely the way to go, I think. If you want to watch movies or play mp3, or use a current version of TexLive or LyX or R or open office, then you have to do a lot more package building and maintenance with Centos. If you want newer stuff, and you don't want to build all of it yourself, then you need Fedora or Ubuntu, but that comes along with the ever-present danger of breakage and frustration. I really do prefer the RPM packaging system to the Debian packaging. I've done both lately. I can promise you this. RPMs are much much easier/cleaner to build and it is about 10x simpler to create an RPM repository than a Debian repository. But I also have to admit that I have had a much lower rate of hardware/driver flaws in Ubuntu than I had with Fedora. More things "just work" in Ubuntu that Fedora. That's partly because the Ubuntu people let the Fedora guys test out the new stuff before they adopt it. I am told that things do eventually get fixed in Fedora. But I don't want to be spending any more time debugging things like the kernel HPET (High Precision Event Timer) to find out why the CPU is always pegged at 100%. On the other hand, my opinion is that the quality of advice you get in the Fedora email list is much higher than in the Ubuntu list. I think that's because Ubuntu seems to have grown rapidly among noobies, and when the noobies are asking questions and answering each other, you see some really low quality threads develop. On the other hand, the users who survive with Fedora are, almost by necessity, tougher and more able to solve problems.

pj
Crile

Professor, Political Science          http://pj.freefaculty.org
1541 Lilac Lane, Rm 504 University of Kansas Office: (785) 864-9086