Re: [Swarm-support] Swarm for macOS Sierra

From: Paul Johnson
Subject: Re: [Swarm-support] Swarm for macOS Sierra
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2018 16:15:20 -0500

Dear Robert

The Mac support was never fully put together.  We can still run Swarm on Linux machines if you have the older gcc compiler. For example, it still works on RedHat/Centos because they still have gcc before 5.

Steve Railsback has been the one keeping Windows alive, but he asked me about using Ubuntu linux a while ago.  Before I could solve the old/new gcc problem on Ubuntu, he noted that the older gcc is still avail in Centos and so that is a solved problem there.

His virtual machine approach might work for you, or else you run Centos or Redhat, in which case the path is straightforward.

As one of the commenters here noted, Swarm is not a very active project and there are only a few of us writing models for it anymore.  I know that Steve is writing books encouraging new people to use Netlogo.  He offers a beautiful summer workshop about it, actually.

pj