taler

[Taler] deployment/regional-currency: tor hidden service

From: Calvin Burns
Subject: [Taler] deployment/regional-currency: tor hidden service
Date: Wed, 15 May 2024 21:23:19 +0000

Dear developers,

could you please provide some hints about how to use the deployment scripts for
a regional currency [1] to set up the bank and exchange as a tor hidden service?

Assume the currency is TALER not bound to a commercial bank currency.
Assume 2 hidden services defined in torrc (see [2]):
```
HiddenServiceDir /var/lib/tor/bank.taler/
HiddenServicePort 80 bank.taler:13099

HiddenServiceDir /var/lib/tor/exchange.taler/
HiddenServicePort 80 exchange.taler:22911
```
bank.taler and exchange.taler are mapped to 127.0.0.1 in /etc/hosts.
The generated onion addresses are stored in
/var/lib/tor/bank.taler/hostname
/var/lib/tor/exchange.taler/hostname.

Here is an example for /etc/nginx/sites-enabled/bank.taler:
```
server {
  listen 13099;
  listen [::]:13099;

  server_name bank-onion-address.onion;
  # ...
  access_log /var/log/nginx/libeufin-sandbox.onion.log;
  error_log /var/log/nginx/libeufin-sandbox.onion.err;

  location / {
    proxy_pass http://localhost:8080;
    # Fixes withdrawal http request
    proxy_set_header X-Forwarded-Proto "http";
    proxy_set_header X-Forwarded-Host "bank-onion-address.onion";
    proxy_set_header X-Forwarded-Prefix /;
  }
}
```
For the exchange accordingly.

I added a bank account for the exchange with the onion address and with
priority 1:
```
sudo -i -u taler-exchange-offline \
  torify \
  taler-exchange-offline \
  enable-account \
  payto://x-taler-bank/bank-onion-address.onion/exchange?receiver-name=Exchange
\
  display-hint 1 ...
```

I use tor-browser with the taler wallet addon.
After withdrawing to the wallet by using the bank web interface I get "404" in
/var/log/nginx/exchange.log saying
```
127.0.0.1 ... "GET /reserves/HP...FG?timeout_ms=30000 HTTP/1.1 404 103 ...
```
Any suggestion why the reserve is not found?

Please consider adding support for hidden services in the
deployment scripts for regional currencies [1].

[1] https://git.taler.net/deployment.git/tree/regional-currency
[2] https://community.torproject.org/onion-services/setup/