terminal-discuss

[Terminal-discuss] Re: ANN: Terminal 0.9.4

From: Alexander Malmberg
Subject: [Terminal-discuss] Re: ANN: Terminal 0.9.4
Date: Sun, 19 Jan 2003 16:18:25 +0100

address@hidden wrote:

> On 18 Jan, Alexander Malmberg wrote:
> >  Stefan Urbanek wrote:
> >
> >  (Moving this to terminal-discuss.)
> >
> >  [snip]
> > >
> > > Is the color palette configurable somehow (a Terminal.clr
> > > color list or something)?
> >
> >  No. I suppose I could implement this and the escape sequences for
> >  changing the palette (and maybe a preferences tab for it).
>
> That'd be very nice.  Certainly Nextstep was designed so that users
> had GUI configuration tools, rather than having to learn an editor, how
> to use man pages, read up on .bashrc, X11 colour naming, etc.

OTOH, this is a terminal emulator. :)

> Where do GNUstep applications store their user configuration
> information?  Is their a defaults database?  Or do they store them in
> older style .thingrc files?

A defaults database, usually in ~/GNUstep/Defaults/.GNUstepDefaults .

[snip]
> The live preferences for a Terminal instance could either be set via the
> Preference tab, or via escape sequences, and everything would still work
> harmoniously.

But programs could overwrite the user's settings, so there is a bit of a
conflict. Trying to turn terminal state (like colors and the palette)
into user preferences isn't necessarily a good thing.

[snip]
> >  Making the settings per window doesn't seem to do much good without some
> >  way of remembering the settings so you can use them again later. Would a
> >  simple load/save of window settings be enough? (ie. save saves the
> >  current window's settings to a file, and load creates a new window with
> >  saved settings from a file)
>
> That would be best of all, as long as there was also a user
> configurable default stored, for use when no specific setting was
> chosen.

There would be.

[snip]

- Alexander Malmberg