texmacs-dev

[Texmacs-dev] Corrupted .TeXmacs dir

From: Massimiliano Gubinelli
Subject: [Texmacs-dev] Corrupted .TeXmacs dir
Date: Sat, 18 May 2024 09:29:52 +0100

Hi all,
 frequently users report that TeXmacs crashes at startup and especially on
Windows they are not able to get out of troubles because nothing indicates that
the problem is with a corrupted .TeXmacs folder.

I think we should add some mechanism to avoid this. Proposal:

1) at startup we write a file in .TeXmacs which signals that we are booting.
2) if the booting process goes well the file is removed.
3) if TeXmacs crashes and is then restarted, it will find the file present and
will assume a previous crash. In this case it will move the .TeXmacs folder
aside (e.g. in .TeXmacs-problematic-1, inform the user and proceed by booting
with a clean .TeXmacs folder).

This will allow to start TeXmacs. We could also open TeXmacs on a document
explaning what happened and indicating where is the problematic folder.

Max

ps: More generally I think the console should really be a full-fledged TeXmacs
document which would allow the user to have more complex interaction with the
various problems that arise, e.g. if there is an error, this is logged in the
console document, with possibly hyperlinks to the error site, some UI element
to request more details, etc…