Re: [therion-users] simple HOWTO

From: Stacho Mudrak
Subject: Re: [therion-users] simple HOWTO
Date: Tue, 3 Dec 2002 16:54:17 +0100

> I'm in a hurry so here are some hasty notes. I hope it is enough to help
me
> along a bit further.

I'm also a bit hurry, so only the most necessary things. Martin call me
today, that he has written down some short xtherion control manual, I'll put
it on the web, when I'll get it.

> However it didn't quite work:
> compile failed with test.th2[26] -
> invalid command context, because the line was outside the scrap context.
> (all the lines are above the 'scrap' entry).
> Even if you move this line to top so line is enclosed by scrap you still
get
> same error.

Yes, I forgot, that scrap must be enclosed in survey -- endsurvey, and any
scrap command in scrap -- endscrap.

> Adding a survey enclosure gets us 'no selected projection data'

As you probably noticed, the problem is, that -projection switch is probably
not correctly set to none. But it can be also a bug on our side...

> I also put in a proper survey to relate to some real data:
> But that wouldn't produce output either:
>  If you use same name in station label as station in .th file e.g. '5'
>  point x y station -station 5
>  then survey data specifying station 5 gvies an erro 'object exists -- 5'

??? Please, send me the source file -- this does not make sense to me!

>  Change one (e.g. to '05') and data compiles but then says 'projection
>  extended - no reference station' - how is this made to work?
>
> So I am stuck again and still haven't quite managed to produce any ouput.
> need another clue. 'lesson 2' :-)

I'll try to write more tomorrow.

> Do I need to post sample files?

It would be probably better, they're not big.

> I also found a lot of other things that were problems for the new user.
You
> probably know about these but I'll record them here anyway as a useful
> feedback:
>
> * Errors in compiler go off screen RH side - wrap them?
> * Lots of stuff cannot be read in RH side panels (eg point types) - widen
box,
>  shrink font, make pop-up show current text not truncate it to fit (I
> shrank the font from 12 to 9 pt in the xtherion tcl script and that was a
> lot better on a 1024x768 screen). Once you know all the options it doesn't
> matter so much but to start with it is hopeless - you can only see the
> first 7-8 characters or so.

I can play with it a little bit... I've problems reading small letters,
therefore 12pt. I'll have to support some user-configuration file...

> * More keyboard shortcuts - may exist already?

All shortcuts are listed in menus, so probably they do not exist. Please be
more concrete (e.g. Control+Alt+S -> create new scrap).

> * If you add a scrap manually then set the projection in xtherion and save
> it doesn't add it. You need to delete scrap and redo in xtherion.

I'll check that, may be a bug, but try changing the projection and pressing
after the Return button. This may help... but I'll check anyway...

> * projection command/object doesn't seem to be recognised - you need the
> -projection option for the scrap command instead.

It's not a command. Projection can be set only via -projection option. This
is inconsistency in our data format -- too late to change.

> * How do I set the scale for a scrap? what does 'update scale' do?

Tomorrow...

> * F1 etc don't work if menu currently selected. (tcl limitation? - quite
> annoying)

We have same problems... Probably it has to be overcome via some key
bindings and automatic focus changes...

> * Problem with files being updated in two places at once. eg edit thconfig
> in text editor but version in compiler is not changed. If you close one in
> compiler to force an update it overwrites the version on disk. Needs to
> check modification times or something slightly smarter. Similar prob with
> edits made in text editor and in map editor at same time.

This should be also fixed (I had also this problem several times.)

I've no more time today, but tomorrow, I'll write these things on TODO list
and I'll try to write some lesson 2...

S.